Arizona Mesa Mission Address



Monday, April 23, 2012

April 23, 2012

Dear Family,

Glad to hear Matt is getting his Eagle and that there's at least a remnant left or the bird houses from my Eagle Scout project 7 years ago.  That's cool dad give all of his talks to the Spanish units in Spanish, because I have yet to see a High Councilman do that on my mission.  They either already know Spanish from their mission or they have a translator for the congregation.  

My new companion's name is Elder Eskeets who is 100% Navajo Indian (sad to say the first sober one I have seen in my mission) and he is really awesome.  He loves to sing, is a really good teacher, works hard, and is really outgoing.  We are going to get a long great.  He was Elder Neilson's companion in the MTC so it's kind of cool I get to be companions with them both.  I was actually with Elder Eskeets on his first night in the mission field when he went on his overnight exchange with the Zone Leaders in Phoenix.  I was feeling pretty sick coming into this transfer but it looks like I am better now after I rested for two days and took some antibiotics.

I was kind of sad to leave Phoenix and the Monterey Branch but I think the reason Sal said I looked blue was due to me being sick.  Since I got here Elder Eskeets and I set two baptismal dates for the month of May, one of them was a fairly new investigator.  The Lord definitely blessed us even though we weren't able to proselyte all of the hours being sick and resting.

I had a really cool experience while sharing Joseph Smith's First Vision to Brian, one of the investigators that we set a baptismal date with. He is about 15 years old and lives right across the street from the Bishop so we had the lesson in the Bishop's house.  He also happens to have some kids Brian's age so it worked out pretty well.  I just really felt the Spirit strongly confirming my testimony of restoration as I shared Joseph Smith's experience in the Sacred Grove.  I think part of that experience can be attributed to me not reciting the First Vision by memory like I have a billion times in an attempt to help Brian understand it more.  It kind of made me ponder about it more while I shared it, but all in all it was a very spiritual lesson even though it was very simple.

Am I in a car yet??  Of course not ... still on a bike and probably will be for the rest of my mission.  Another summer on bike.  Its already like 95-100 degrees so you can forget about spring in Arizona this year.  Anyway I am about out of time so I got to get going.  It was great to hear from you.  I hope you're enjoying the coveted spring time in Connecticut!!  Ooh and yes, I would like some jerky.  Don't know my address right now but I'll send it next week.

Love,

Elder Kinney 

No comments:

Post a Comment