Arizona Mesa Mission Address



Thursday, September 2, 2010

Two Weeks at the MTC

Yesterday marks the end of week two in the MTC.  It has gone by much faster than the first week.  I definitely know what people mean when they say that the days go by so slowly, but the weeks go by fast.  The days go by so quickly because we are always busy.  I haven't really had any tough days since the first few days that I was here.  This place is so special -- it is hard to stay discouraged or sad for too long.

Right now I can pray, contact, and testify to people in Spanish.  One of the things that me and my companion try to do every day is contact 10 people in Spanish, and we are pretty good at reaching our goals.  Speaking of which, setting goals and sticking to them is one of the things that we really strive to do here in the MTC.  It helps us utilize our time efficiently and get better at everything we are trying to do.  This, along with so many other things, is so critical to my success in the mission field . . . and in life.

I am back in a regular companionship with Elder Samuels.  Elder Duke got another companion named Elder Butcher from Murray, Utah.  He just got transferred in and seems like a pretty nice guy.  I'm kinda bummed though because I really liked Elder Duke.

Last night we had the opportunity of hearing from President Gordon B. Hinckley's son Richard J., who is one of the Quorum of the Seventy.  All of the devotionals here are really spiritual and sometimes repetitive.  We are required to read from the Missionary Handbook every single day so I know this repetition is inspired.

The food in the MTC is not as bad as I thought it would be, given the cafeteria food I had when I was at BYU.  It's a good thing too since there's only one cafeteria at the MTC.  They actually have a make-your-own-wrap bar that is really good.  I usually hit that up every lunch or dinner.

Another great thing about being in the MTC is going to the temple every week.  I just got back from a session where I went through for a man named Levi Sitting Hawk from South Dakota.  I'm guessing he's an Native American from the Black Hills or something -- pretty cool!

Hermano De La Cruz, a substitute teacher I had, shared the following scripture that I wanted to pass along to you.  It is in D&C 68:6 and it reads, "Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you . . . "  This scripture really had quite an impact on me because it shows that even during the hardest of times, if we turn to the Lord, he will help us and guide us in our struggles.  This, of course, is extremely relevant to mission work, as there will be many times in the future where I will feel discouraged.  I feel like we should all try to remember this no matter where we are or what we are doing.  It's something I wish I had done more before I left on my mission, and something I plan to remember for the rest of my life. 

I see Elder Quinn all the time since we have the same meal schedule, so that's kinda cool.  I always look for Peter too, but have only seen him once.  He seemed to be doing well.  I want you guys to know I love you a lot and am thinking about you.  I am where I'm supposed to be . . . and will be going where the Lord needs me. 

Love - Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment