Arizona Mesa Mission Address



Tuesday, February 22, 2011

February 22, 2011

Family,

I'm just going to do my weekly email pretty quickly this week because I don't really have a ton of time.  We spent about 7 hours of our day in Mesa because one of the Elders in our apartment, Elder Landsaw, broke his wrist.  So I've done a lot of scripture reading as I've sat around in doctors office lobbies all day.  Also Elder Ralphs is being transferred tomorrow and he needs to pack and do a ton of other stuff to prepare to leave tomorrow morning.  He has been called to be a Zone Leader in the downtown Phoenix area which is pretty exciting and nerve racking for him since he has only been in the field for 6 months.  I'm telling you though, he was born to be a missionary and I have learned so much from him over these past two transfers, especially in terms of my Spanish.  My new companion is Elder Pearson from Canada.  I have seen and heard of him but never talked to him before.  I have heard that he is really hard working and obedient, so I'm excited for the work that can get done in this area with what he will bring to the table.

This past month of February has gone by really fast but at the same time has kind of been a slow in terms of numbers.  Elder Ralphs and I found ourselves knocking on doors for hours after all our appointments and back-ups fell through.  This was really the first time on my mission that we have actually knocked on doors for a prolonged period of time, and it just wasn't as successful as it could have been.  Also a lot of our baptismal dates have fell through or have been pushed back.  I think I mentioned before that we have 6 people who really want to be baptized but are waiting for marriage situations to be settled.  I know that the Lord has people prepared for us to teach in this area, we just need to follow the Spirit and find them.  Every week we go to the (missionary) Stake High Counselor's house for breakfast and a meeting.  He also gives really powerful spiritual thoughts that are quite inspiring and helpful.  I really like one thing he said about the word "insanity".  He told us the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  He told us this in an attempt to help us think of new ways to go about doing our daily work, so that we can become more successful.  Elder Ralphs and I tried the tracting thing but with little success.  Like I said, I am excited for Elder Pearson and the ideas that he has to bring to the table.

Before I sign off, I wanted to share one more thing that I've been thinking about for awhile.  I feel many of us, including myself, are not asking enough sincere questions through prayer and going about our lives with an intent to receive real and direct answers from God.  This has a lot to do with praying with faith, which is something I have really focused on for the past couple of weeks now.  I know God can answer prayers and that he listens to me when I do pray, but one thing I want to change is my desire to receive specific personal answers to my prayers.  I think this requires a constant prayer in my heart as well as consistancy in my efforts to show God what I am willing to do for him to receive this answer.  I found that the times when I've felt the spirit most strongly, and have known without a doubt that God has granted me an answer, is when I cast out all doubt in my mind and devote my time, effort and thoughts to receiving a spiritual witness.  I need to incorporate this mindset into my life more regularly and also figure out how I can instill this desire and knowledge into the hearts of the people I teach.  I know that as I do this, my life will change and it will be easier for me to be obedient to the Lord's commandments and have His spirit with me at all times

Anyway, just some thoughts I've been having.  Maybe they can help you guys out.

Love,

Elder Kinney

No comments:

Post a Comment